Greg A

2020 Quartzsite Gathering

Greg A

2020 Quartzsite Gathering Hosts: Scamp Owners International

This gathering is for all brands of Molded Fiberglass Trailers!

Like Salmon returning home all brands of Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers make the annual pilgrimage to the AZ Desert. 

Dates: Feb 3-9th, 2020

• February 3rd to 6th  - Early bird Quartzsite Pre-Gathering (Mon thru Thurs)
  • February 7th to 9th - Main Event (Friday thru Sunday)

If you can attend the Main Gathering, the Pre-Gathering, or the entire Quartzsite Gathering we’d love to have you come and enjoy the good times. Some even stay for a Post-Gathering for a few days if you’re so inclined.

Mark the dates. More details of the event will be posted late-summer and throughout the fall.

Hope to see you there, and remember: No bill and No Checkout time. :clapping:

Cloudmaster Don

Cloudmaster Don & SpicySuz expect to be there yet again.

CD

Boojie-Woojie

I’m already here. What are you all waiting for...

So far just three Casitas.

• Haha 2

BryanCramer

Following for updates. 

kolocar

Planning on 2020 as our Quartzsite inaugural! 

• Like 1

amahd

Are reservations needed or even possible? Does one just show up and find a spot? This would be my first time.  Just looking for procedures and polices, if any. Thanks.

clairemr1
9 minutes ago, amahd said:

Are reservations needed or even possible? Does one just show up and find a spot? This would be my first time.  Just looking for procedures and polices, if any. Thanks.

no reservations but you do need to register with the area camp host (his campsite is marked with a sign easily visible on the road at dome rock) & obtain a permit to display in your rv window. then go find a spot & enjoy............btw the camphost warned me to watch my generator like a hawk & secure it. genny's are the most popular thing to steal out there..........

• Like 1

Arizona Eileen
On 7/25/2019 at 7:58 AM, clairemr1 said:

no reservations but you do need to register with the area camp host (his campsite is marked with a sign easily visible on the road at dome rock) & obtain a permit to display in your rv window. then go find a spot & enjoy............btw the camphost warned me to watch my generator like a hawk & secure it. genny's are the most popular thing to steal out there..........

Claire,

Were you at the Q Gathering more than one year? Which rally host told you to keep an eye on yours?

I've gone every year for 12 years and have never heard of a generator been stolen, at least not during the Gathering. 

In general, if I were there at another time, I would definitely stow and lock mine.

Eileen

clairemr1
27 minutes ago, Arizona Eileen said:

Claire,

Were you at the Q Gathering more than one year? Which rally host told you to keep an eye on yours?

I've gone every year for 12 years and have never heard of a generator been stolen, at least not during the Gathering. 

In general, if I were there at another time, I would definitely stow and lock mine.

Eileen

not the rally host, the blm area camp host. his trailer is parked permanently near dome rock & everyone has to get a permit to display in their rv if you intend to park on blm land. the blm rangers drive around & check that no one stays beyond their limited time, although they aren't very strict. i stayed a day extra waiting for my travel companions to be ready to move out & no one chastised me about it. it was the blm camp host that told me about the generator thefts. several had been stolen in the previous 2 weeks before i arrived. of course, he's talking about that entire area, not just us "fiberglass owners" & our little spot at dome rock.

i made friends with other solo ladies out there & 1 of us would always stay in camp while the other 2 left the area for any reason. worked great & none of us sustained a loss. we probably didn't need to be that vigilant since we were tucked in among the other fiberglass trailers, but none of us wanted to risk theft from a casual thief just driving through the area.

• Like 1

Arizona Eileen

Last week I asked Webmaster Gene if he recalls anything ever being stolen during the Quartzsite Gatherings. Nope, nothing, since 2008. Me either. However, at times other than the Gathering, I'm more cautious about what I leave out. But that's the case whenever I'm not camped with a group.

Eileen

Jeweltea

How long can we stay at Quartzsite on BLM land? We have never gone but would like to go next year. There is a Ham radio gathering around there which we would like to attend in addition to the Casita rally. It is January 19th thru 25th. Can we stay the whole time on BLM land? There is a week between the 2 gatherings. 

fredee

Fourteen days in the free area then you're suppose to move at least 25 miles away for the next 14 days.  The rally is in one free area to the west of Quartzsite whereas Quartzfest is 7 miles south of Quartzsite which is in a separate free area.  Each area is served by a different BLM person.  I doubt that they cross-check.

Look at the "Dispersed Camping" rules:
https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreation/camping

Both are great events.

If you want to stay longer, say because you are a snow bird, you may camp in the nearby BLM Long Term Visitor Areas (LTVA) for a fee.

• Like 1

Boojie-Woojie

I have stayed for over two months for several years with no questions asked. That may change in the future. After the Casita group leaves that place gets pretty lonely. At that point only about ten RV’s.

vermilye

If you want to legally spend more time, there are a number of LTVAs (Long Term Visitor Area) in Quartzsite where you can stay for $40.00 per 2 weeks (repeatable) or $180.00 for 7 months.  For the $ you get access to dumpsters for your trash, a dump station & fresh water.  4 are located along AZ 95 south of town.  

There are others in AZ & CA that you can move between with the same ticket.  I've spent the winter in Quartzsite & Imperial Dam (near Yuma) in the LTVAs for the last 3 years.

• Like 3

Becky and Baxter

It’s so funny reading about people who do this! My grandparents had an Airstream when I was a kid in the 60’s. They pulled it with a super long boat of a car. They would leave every fall and head to the desert in Arizona and spend the entire winter. I could never fully understand how they could do that! I know they had friends they met who they’d see every year. This explains a lot and helps me imagine how and what they were doing out there in the desert for months. :thumbup:

• Like 1