Sign in to follow this  
Hidalga

2020 Green Eggs & Ham

Hidalga
22 hours ago, jerryc said:

I went back through the posts announcing the 10th. anniversary gathering at Pickensville, and have found nothing asking folks not to reserve a campsite early.  All I could find said registration would open in September, and stand by for further notice.  Making reservations, and registration are two different things.

Thanks Jerry. You did no wrong, only what you knew what you wanted to do. And so did some others. The SNAFU lies with the poor communication with the campground, as I was told 2020 season reservations wouldn't be available to make in 2019, and we'd have to wait until March 1st for 2020 online reservations. Thus the attempt to develop a registration that would ensure your reservation. Working with government is hardly ever an easy task!

• Thanks 1

Hidalga
9 hours ago, Huevo Movil said:

...Second, go out and enjoy yourself at either Millers Ferry, Gunter Hill, Pickensville or the park of your choice. Although we will be separated physically in 2020, I ask you keep the GE&H spirit alive with drink and merriment...

To address you and Kip, I can update the rally website tonight on having 3 separate camps for 2020. Trying to create 3 different Green Eggs an Ham threads in addition to the official thread will confuse people even more. If you feel 3 different threads are necessary, then it's advisable to keep the same 2020 rally date for each, March 11-15th, and title the 3 threads:

Green Eggs and Ham 2020 - Miller's Ferry Group

Green Eggs and Ham 2020 - Gunter Hill Group

Green Eggs and Ham 2020 - Pickensville Group

I'll be happy to maintain the rally Website with information that's provided to me from a group lead from each location, but I won't proactively handle inquiries. Three group leads will have to be the points of contact.

Additionally, I can add a "news" note in The Roost about the three different fractions. The next issue is scheduled to be sent out to readers tomorrow AM.

Huevo Movil
1 hour ago, Hidalga said:

To address you and Kip, I can update the rally website tonight on having 3 separate camps for 2020. Trying to create 3 different Green Eggs an Ham threads in addition to the official thread will confuse people even more. If you feel 3 different threads are necessary, then it's advisable to keep the same 2020 rally date for each, March 11-15th, and title the 3 threads:

Green Eggs and Ham 2020 - Miller's Ferry Group

Green Eggs and Ham 2020 - Gunter Hill Group

Green Eggs and Ham 2020 - Pickensville Group

I'll be happy to maintain the rally Website with information that's provided to me from a group lead from each location, but I won't proactively handle inquiries. Three group leads will have to be the points of contact.

Additionally, I can add a "news" note in The Roost about the three different fractions. The next issue is scheduled to be sent out to readers tomorrow AM.

Kim and Hidalga, I think 3 separate threads will cause more confusion and negatively affect any potential rally's (poss 2021) in the future. My suggestion is NO. Leave everything as it is. People have already begun to group together for 2020. This multiple threads idea is not only a BAD idea, it is a REALLY BAD IDEA. Hidalga and I will collaborate off line, develop a plan for 2021, and notify participants, of results. Thanks have a good time wherever you go! Best. Shorty sends...

Huevo Movil

Back in the day, when you went out the door and your chute did not separate from the aircraft you were called a towed jumper. Recovery procedures were to cut away your primary chute lines, and deploy your reserve... (hopefully it worked)! We need to just cut this rally away for this year and maybe call it the Cracked Egg Rally (jerry's suggestion for the name) let people go to which ever camp they want with whom ever they want. These are resilient people ya know. Sure I'll miss seeing many of them but it's not the end of the world. Lets keep this 2020 event low key. Every thing will work out and we will be back together for a BANG UP time in 2021. 

Kip in Ga.

The idea we had was to have a simple GATHERING.  Nothing planned at all. 

And see what happens. Sometimes spontaneous actions can be quite entertaining. 

And a lack thereof,..... quite relaxing. 

Nothing wrong with rallies at all.  But they require a good strong leader. You and Shorty do it so well. But you are more rare than you may realize. 

Three simultaneous rallies would be difficult to handle. But 3 Gatherings, not so much. 

Might be worth a try with Gatherings, and see what shakes out. 

Kip

Huevo Movil
1 minute ago, Kip in Ga. said:

The idea we had was to have a simple GATHERING.  Nothing planned at all. 

And see what happens. Sometimes spontaneous actions can be quite entertaining. 

And a lack thereof,..... quite relaxing. 

Nothing wrong with rallies at all.  But they require a good strong leader. You and Shorty do it so well. But you are more rare than you may realize. 

Three simultaneous rallies would be difficult to handle. But 3 Gatherings, not so much. 

Might be worth a try with Gatherings, and see what shakes out. 

Kip

Kip got it. Call it what you want rally, gathering, get together, party, bash, affair, binge, blast, blowout, event, fete, function powwow, rave-up, shindig, thrash. social event, social occasion, social gathering or social affair etc... is it tomato or tomatoe? :-) In my opinion, and my opinion only, it would be challenging to get sufficient coherent information to people and redirect them to one place. I personally am not going to sign up for that. Don't know Hidalgas thoughts, but I'm sure she will chime in soon. I will miss not seeing old friends, but I'm sure (I hope) that I'll see them through out the year. I'm out. Best. Shorty sends...

tenbears
34 minutes ago, Huevo Movil said:

We need to just cut this rally away for this year and maybe call it the Cracked Egg Rally (jerry's suggestion for the name)

Thank you :clapping:

Hidalga

Website has been updated. I'm still getting messages in that demonstrate that many haven't gotten the memo yet, so the site needed to be changed.

http://www.rvcompass.com/GEHrally/index.html

I'll also put a news spot in The Roost, due out tomorrow.

BTW, I love Jerry's dubbed name for 2020 and had to use The Cracked Egg Rally on the website!

• Like 5

West Texan

That was a nice write up. :good:

• Like 1

Radar1

Marilyn and I were fortunate to attend all the rallies so far, and sad that we would not be at the tenth reunion since we'll be taking a family trip to Ireland in March. Perhaps we'll see a real leprechaun this year instead of the Texan one. :rolleyes: 

We have met so many great campers at this rally and several are like family to us, thanks to that question Shorty asked about 10 years ago "Does anyone want to get together in Alabama"?

Shorty has done a great job, as well as Jeanine in later years, plus all the people that helped make these gatherings a success. Some are no longer with us but good memories live on.

Looking forward to 2021 wherever that "hatch in", "rally", or "gathering" might be.

• Thanks 1

Kip in Ga.
On 9/14/2019 at 8:07 PM, Hidalga said:

Website has been updated. I'm still getting messages in that demonstrate that many haven't gotten the memo yet, so the site needed to be changed.

http://www.rvcompass.com/GEHrally/index.html

I'll also put a news spot in The Roost, due out tomorrow.

BTW, I love Jerry's dubbed name for 2020 and had to use The Cracked Egg Rally on the website!

Jeanine,

Your change in the GE&H official website was great. Simple, accurate, and to the point.

THANK YOU!

Kip

borderbrae

An unfortunate mix-up between government and the rally manager, sometimes that happens and we just have to make the best of it. No matter where or how many of us get together I know we’ll enjoy the camaraderie. I’m another one that tends to arrive early to enjoy the relaxed pre-rally time visiting with friends so I totally understand JerryC’s post. 

I just made reservations at Gunter Hill for March 9-15 and rather expect I may pull into the campground before that. 

Travel safe everyone. 

Huevo Movil

I know you all are a resilient bunch! I personally will be going home to Millers Ferry. I am looking forward to the ferry ride across the river, a walk around the park,  and trying, very hard, to remember all the good and sad things that occurred their. I don't think much will have changed physically in the park but I'm sure the memories will come pouring back. Let's pray that in 2021 things will normalize and we can ALL be together again. Anyway everyone have a great time. From the bottom of my heart, yes I have one, thank you and good night! Best. Shorty sends...

Huevo Movil

Well shoot! I thought I was going to Miller Ferry but I made the reservations for Gunterhill instead. Did not realize this until I spoke with Hidalga. Oh well Gunter hill it is in site 33!

rgill

I’m sure Jeanine and Shorty did everything they could to to get the entire group together in one place for the 10th anniversary.  Some things just will not work especially when the Gov. is involved!  I sure appreciate all the trouble they went to over the past years.  We have made many friends and had lots of good times.

When I tried to get things changed to reserve the first week in the next year for a group, I was eventually told I would have to contact my senator.  That same year I was accosted by a guy that failed to get their own reservations, wanted to know why I didn’t get him a site close to the rest of us!  That and the thousands of questions ask over and over finally caused me to give up.

The only time I ever went to a counselor, her advice to me was, “Ray, you are responsible for your own happiness.” 

So, we’re looking forward to Gunter Hill and seeing some of our friends like that little squirt called Shorty. :innocent:

• Like 1