Doninut

Southern Utah Tour

Doninut

I receive a number of inquiries about the Southern Utah Tour and if there will be one.

Simple answer is that Betsy and I will not be leading the SUT next spring. At times we feel as though we could do it again but May is several months off and we don't feel that we should commit to it again.  We would love to have someone else take over the leadership of the group.  We would be happy to turn over the general plan for doing the tour along with the itinerary and directions to boondocking sites etc.  It could be done by anyone who wants to put in a little admin work.

We have had lots of fun and met some delightful folks doing the tour - people we consider lifetime friends.  Whenever past participants were visiting the national parks we would have a great time exploring some backroad or other interesting site.

If someone is willing to step up to the task please send me a PM on this site or to my email address given in previous announcements.

Don and Betsy

• Sad 1

Spongelander

Don and Betsy,

We want to thank you so much for organizing the 2019 tour we were lucky enough to join - and Steve, Judy, and Mike for leading it. It was a wonderful adventure that we will not only never forget, but will build on in the years to come. To anyone who wishes to lead the tour, let me encourage you to do so. 

clairemr1

thanks so much for leading this wonderful tour for so many years. i'll never forget the 2015 one, wettest & coldest of them all but we all had so much fun! here's hoping someone steps up to take over your "legacy". best wishes to you both as you go forward into the future

jcarder
11 hours ago, Doninut said:

We would be happy to turn over the general plan for doing the tour along with the itinerary and directions to boondocking sites etc.

Don and Betsy

Don,

I was never able to make it to one of your Southern Utah Tours but have always enjoyed reading about them and daydreaming about going myself. Have you or would you consider posting this information in the Campground Report section of the forum? Possibly with a picture of a highlighted map. Now that Gene has explained to me "how to save a post" I or anyone else could save it for a future mini tour of our own.

John

Mrs Spike

Don,

We hate to hear this since we had hoped for a spot this year.  We understand and wish the best for you guys.  I am hoping someone will want to step up and lead a group.  If not, I would love to get a a copy of an itinerary and map.  That trip is definitely on our bucket list for next year.  Safe travels!

Janet

sonnyk

I never made any of Don and Betsy's S Utah trips, but I would like to say that with a little research (well, maybe a lot of research) and planning, an itinerary can be put together for your own trip.  After missing out on the 2019 tour, that's exactly what we did.  Actually made a trip in April to Arches, Canyonlands, Goosenecks, and Moki Dugway, and another one in September travelling Hwy 24 and Hwy 12 (which includes so many amazing places), then to the North Rim of G.C.  Don provided some of his info, and of course the internet is a nearly unlimited resource also.  

I found Don's 2016 Itinerary and will attach it here.  There may be more on the forum as well.

Southern Utah Tour 2016.docx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Upfisk

Don, you have been very gracious in providing us the itenary for 2019. We have the draft tour registration  file ready to email on Nov 1 and are sorry to find that you and Betsy are retired. Guess we will have to put together our own personal tour with your guide, the AAA southern Utah maps, and knowledge obtained from Google searches of your alternate campsites. 

Myrl and Gary

Keith.B.Nimble

I never got to make the Southern Utah tour either.  I tried but was not one of the fortunate 15.  I would also love to get a copy of the itinerary.

Keith

mountaingoat

I posted this elsewhere, but a good thing to keep in mind:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tourists-heeding-utahs-mighty-5-campaign-overpower-moab-11568638923

Good luck to Don and his wife

Tourists Heeding Utah’s ‘Mighty 5’ Campaign Overpower Moab - WSJ.pdf

edit:

I didn't want to hijack Don's thread, but thought this was a good place to post this article. I added a PDF for those who can't get past Wall Street Journal's paywall.

I have been going to Moab since 1990 and have a friend who retied there. I also have a friend who lives part time in Boulder, Utah (between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon) and is a volunteer park ranger at Capitol Reef.

It is an amazing part of the world, for sure. In fact, we are on our way there again after we get out of work this afternoon. I am very thankful for the times I have been able to visit under many different scenarios: mountain biking, rafting, geology student, and later a geology tour guide, backpacking, flatwater kayaking in Canyonlands (which included a jetboat ride up the Colorado river),  hiking, canyoneering, road bike tour (Moab Century), even an adventure race, etc....

• Like 1

Spongelander
27 minutes ago, mountaingoat said:

I posted this elsewhere, but a good thing to keep in mind:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tourists-heeding-utahs-mighty-5-campaign-overpower-moab-11568638923

Good luck to Don and his wife

A couple of notes about that:

If you're visiting Arches, Canyonlands, or Dead Horse Point State Park (wonderful mountain bike trails for average folks) - or, for that matter, Bryce or Zion - go early in the morning or late in the day. Please note that the mountain bike trails out of and surrounding Horse Thief Campground draw lots of mountain bikers and some mountain bike tours (though they were in the group sites). It's a wonderful campground, especially if you're a mountain biker or want to be - BLM and Moab worked to create a network of professionally-designed trails. 

If you're visiting Zion, and want a bit of peace and quiet, a volunteer I met suggested early October. She noted that school starts in early September, followed by three weeks of baby boomers, after which the park begins to quiet down. We are planning an early Fall trip in the years to come, partly for this reason.  

This is wonderful country that we look forward to exploring in more depth in the near future. We are eternally grateful for the opportunity we had to explore it.  

• Like 1

Boojie-Woojie

That’s the government at work. Good ideas with no thought of the consequences...

Spongelander
11 hours ago, Boojie-Woojie said:

That’s the government at work. Good ideas with no thought of the consequences...

Actually, the back story I got about that was that Fruita, CO has been poaching Moab's MTB visitors, and Moab wanted them back, so collaborated with BLM. I can't swear that story is true, but it's what a local told me. Perhaps step 2 could be enlarging the campground. There's certainly plenty of space to do it. I certainly enjoyed the trails - if I lived there, I'd ride probably every day. 

borderbrae

Don & Betsy, Many thanks for guiding us along the So. UT tour for so many years. I was privileged to travel with you in 2013 and 2015 and enjoyed both tours so much. 2013 opened my eyes to UT, what a wonderful state with so many places to see! I'm sure anyone who gets and follows your itinerary will truly enjoy the trip and be inspired to explore more on their own. 

Double Arch in the moonlight, Arches NP, Moab, UT

927A6380.gif

• Like 1