OREGON COAST GATHERING 2021--( 19TH annual)

dandc

Bullard's Beach State Park in Bandon, Oregon dates will be July 22nd- 25th, 2021.   A reminder of when to get your camp sites will be coming out when it is closer to the time to make reservations.  At this time you can only make reservations 30 days in advance. Check back on this forum for updates. I will try to post any as soon as I am aware of them.  

Bullard's Beach Sate Park campsite map (will not be filled in just so you can see and choose sites) - CLICK HERE

ID Tags:

Word - CLICK HERE

Open Office (must save to your computer first before you can edit) - CLICK HERE

PDF (blank write your info in) - CLICK HERE

Site Signs:

Word - CLICK HERE

Open Office (must save to your computer first before you can edit) - CLICK HERE

PDF (blank - write your info in) - CLICK HERE

You can get Open Office for free - CLICK HERE

Deb

Host

• Like 1
John in Santa Cruz

following due to tentative interest.

Rroberr

Ray Roberts
2005 Casita Spirit

2017 Toyota Tacoma 

Spongelander

Planning to be there with a couple of extra days for MTB riding and a couple of crab traps to toss off the dock.  There are also two nice waterfall hikes south of Powers, that are a nice day hike. Grove of GIANT conifers at the top. 

• Like 1

Here is an interesting factoid for you as of September 10 Oregon state parks are adding a 30% per day, I'll call it a surcharge, to any out-of-state reservations.  Supposedly this is a temporary addition and it's only to be through the end of the year.  So don't be surprised when you make your early reservations in October.  And don't be surprised if it continues into 2021.

They are doing it under the guise of attracting Oregonians to get out and go camping.  I wouldn't be attracted by charging someone else more but it would if they reduced the current fee for Locals.  It is simply an added "tax" and penalty for not being a resident.

Donna D.

Joy, you've made an assumption. We'll be able to make reservations in October. Oregon State Parks are currently 30 days in advance of arrival. Who knows when that will go back to nine months. Maybe before the end of the year, next year or never. 

Understanding how the parks are funded may give some insight into the problem. Unlike other state agencies, the parks department is not funded by tax dollars but by a trio of separate revenue sources: Oregon Lottery funds, camping and parking fees, and RV registration fees. Oregon’s parks haven’t been in such dire straits since the early 1990s, when the parks department was cut off from the Oregon Department of Transportation and left to fend for itself. Due to the parks being closed for several months and lottery funding is way down, the Oregon State Parks are suffering a $22+ million budget shortfall. Parks spokesman Chris Havel said, “We truly don’t know not just what the next six months looks like, but the next one to two years.”

IF Oregon charging non-residents more to camp truly bothers you, perhaps you'd best stay out of these states as well:
Arkansas
Florida (50% senior discount to Florida residents only)
Michigan
Montana
New York
Tennessee (All state residents get a discount, non-residents pay full price)
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming

and those are just the ones I know about.

• Like 3

WhileI am not overjoyed by the prospect of increased out-of-state fees, it is very understandable.  I have always been pleased and impressed by the attention given to maintenance and cleanliness. Needless to say the locale is beautiful, with so many things to see and do in the area.

I am waiting with bated breath, to find out when reservations may be made sooner than 30 days in advance.

WA Happy Campers

Will also be following and checking in. This past summer worked well to visit from the road and although no gatherings it was good to see friends. Extra charges worth it for OR parks. :good:

• Like 1
Joy A

So Donna I don't want to do a tit for tat so this is the last I'll say I have no idea what the other states are doing and I don't really care I do care about Oregon and I care about the fact that you're implying that out of staters who will be shouldering the burden of your shortfall whether it's COVID-19 or some other case Fees are not being raised for everyone

• Like 3
Donna D.

I spent a lot of time talking with a Park Ranger while I was at the Fall NOG this past weekend in Nehalem Bay State Park. He said, they're really not sure what they're going to do. It's possible they'll close a bunch of state parks so they can work within the budget and income they have. Is that the best solution? I don't know, the whole thing is sad. He did say, the Oregon State Park system laid off a bunch of people on Oct. 1. So now there are even fewer people available to work and maintain the parks.

The solution for those that don't want to pay out-of-state fees is to move to Oregon! IF you're retired, you can live anywhere.... :crazy:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Euphoria

Yeah, I'm also retired, so I suppose I could move to Oregon, or anywhere else I wanted to, but then, Oregon is about a screwed up as Washington, so there's really no gain there. The whole west coast has really gone down the crapper over the past dozen years or so. JMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Joy A

Yeap That's why I left CA last year, always considered Oregon but what I've heard from family and friends recently, who are life long residents....I think I'll pass

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
dandc

NEW INFORMATION ON OREGON STATE PARKS- OPEN TO PUBLLIC COMMENT:

PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD OPENS FOR PROPOSAL TO UPDATE RULES AFFECTING RESERVATIONS FOR OREGON STATE PARKS

News Release from Oregon Parks and Recreation Dept.
Posted on FlashAlert: December 1st, 2020 3:33 PM
Oregon Parks and Recreation Department (OPRD) is accepting public comments on a proposed change to the Oregon Administrative Rule guiding reservations for Oregon State Parks. The proposed changes would affect transaction fees and the reservation window.

The unprecedented process of closing all parks and canceling reservations in response to COVID-19 exposed a need for increased flexibility in reservation rules to enable the agency to respond nimbly to changing conditions. OPRD closed all parks March 23, 2020, and reopened in phases, with many campgrounds reopening June 9, 2020.

The proposed change to OAR 736-015-0015 includes implementing a flexible range of $0-$15 for transaction fees to make, change or cancel a reservation. Currently, customers are charged an $8 transaction fee for each reservation.

The proposal would also add flexibility to the reservation window, allowing the agency to vary the window from same-day reservations up to 18 months in advance. Not all sites would be open during the entire window, and neither the maximum nor the minimum ends of the range would necessarily be made available at any given time. Currently the window is set from one day to nine months in advance across the system.

OPRD will accept public comments on the proposed change through 5 p.m. Jan. 15, 2021. Comments can be made online, in writing or via email:

Online: https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/PRP/Pages/PRP-rulemaking.aspx
In writing: Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, attn. Katie Gauthier, 725 Summer St NE, Suite C, Salem OR 97301
Email: OPRD.publiccomment@oregon.gov
At a virtual hearing set for 6 p.m. Jan. 7, 2021. Registration required at zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_l9v4YG05Q1-GeS9n_0nS9Q. Individuals who require special accommodations to view the meetings should contact Katie Gauthier at least three days in advance of the meeting at 503-510-9678 or katie.gauthier@oregon.gov.
The full text of the proposed change is available online at oregon.gov/oprd/PRP/Pages/PRP-rulemaking. After reviewing public comments, OPRD staff plan to present a final recommended rule for consideration by the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Commission at its February 2021 business meeting.

• Confused 1
Spongelander

Here's a link to the existing regulation: OAR 736-015-0015 - Reservations - Oregon Administrative Rules (public.law)

It's not too long to read, and is in plain English. 

From what I can see, $8 becomes a range of $0-15, and 1 day to 9 months becomes 0 days to 18 months. 

The number of open campsites varies in the off-season; a lot of parks don't close camping entirely, but instead leave one or more loops open (likely based roughly on demand). 

Certainly, if you disagree with any of the changes, or want to propose others, do respond to the link above. In my work volunteering in a state agency, your comments will be read; to influence a decision, lots of comments would be necessary to change the somewhat pre-determined outcome. But it's not impossible. I will be interested to see if they do anything with their newfound flexibility.  

Spongelander

You know, about states and all... the other day I reacted more than I expected when someone put down the state I adopted 25 years ago (due to high housing prices where I came from). I came to realize it was sort of like a family thing with me, which sounds strange... like a dysfunctional family that fights, but turns on anyone who points that out. Like, It's a problem, but it's MY family's problem, so you stay out of it! Then I realized that if I felt that way, others likely did too, and when I referred to a particular state as being "last in education" or something similar, my comments could easily be seen as hurtful. So... let me resolve never to do that again! Interesting that it took this to beat it into my feeble head, but I apologize to anyone out there whose state I have denigrated. Sincerely. Thanks!